Nexus phones first to receive updates
Google has announced that the consumer-ready version of Android 7.0 Nougat will begin rolling out to Nexus devices starting today. Google says the Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, Nexus 9, Nexus Player, Pixel C and General Mobile 4G (Android One) will receive the over-the-air update over the next few weeks, while only a few Nexus owners will receive the OTA from today. The Nexus devices don’t include software from the manufacturers or wireless carriers making them simpler and quicker to update.
New features in Android 7.0 Nougat
Providing more ways to customize your phone to fit your personality has been Android's way since day one. With Android Nougat, you’ll have even more ways to make your phone feel your own, including:
- Expanded emoji: There are now over 1,500 different emoji built into Android, including 72 new ones,
- Quick Settings controls: Quick Settings gives you easy access to things like bluetooth, WiFi and the all-important flashlight. With Android Nougat, you can actually control what tiles go where, and move ‘em around to fit your needs.
- Multi-locale support: Apps can tailor their content based on your locale settings. So if you speak multiple languages, for instance, then search engines can show results in each of those languages.
Android Nougat lets you multitask with ease with new features like Multi-window, Direct reply, and Quick switch.
- Multi-window: Run two apps side-by-side. The windows are resizable, too, by simply dragging the divider.
- Direct Reply: Reply directly to notifications without having to open any app.
- Quick Switch: Switch between your two most recently used apps by simply double tapping the Overview button.
Battery life up
Android has been working contonuously to make battery smarter. The battery saving feature is now upgraded and can now drop into lower power usage when you are on the move.
Android Nougat is designed with support for VulkanTM (an advanced 3D rendering API) and Daydream (Google’s platform for mobile virtual reality).
- VulkanTM: Games experience will be more real than ever thanks to high-speed, next-generation graphics — powered by your device’s multi-core processor.
- Daydream: Android Nougat is ready to open the dates to virtual reality worlds with Daydream-ready phones, headsets and controllers — all coming later this year.
As always, Android is built with powerful layers of security and encryption to keep your private data private. New features added,
- Seamless updates: New Android devices with Nougat can install software updates in the background which means you won't have to wait while your device installs the update and optimizes all your apps for the new version. And for current Nexus users, software updates now install much faster, so you won't have to wait for minutes while your device reboots.
- File-based encryption: Android Nougat can better isolate and protect files for individual users on your device.
- Direct Boot: Direct Boot helps your device startup faster, and apps run securely even before you unlock your device when your device reboots.